Sunday, February 28, 2010

This afternoon, while I was relaxing, I was editing some pictures in Photoshop when I came across a picture I took of a bowl of cake and ice cream (my bowl of ice cream). Just for the fun of it, I decided I would create magazine cover! I thought it looked really cool, so I just wanted to share it with you (I named the "business" Homemade...lol). Enjoy!!


If you haven't noticed yet, I spelled "desserts" wrong. So I posted the picture again! Sorry about that typo.






911

These are a few pictures from a group tour of the Blacksburg Volunteer Rescue Squad (where I happen to volunteer as an EMT) that Lily and Jadon took part in.




































































I was looking at the last two pictures and thought I would combine them somehow... So, I opened them in Photoshop, stacked them on top of each other, created a mask on the top image, and exposed the boots (using the mask) on the left side of the picture. This is what it turned out looking like...





Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I had the opportunity to photograph a basketball team this winter, so below is one of the players from the team. Since I’m only posting one picture, I thought I would tell you how I edited the picture. As you can see, in this picture, there is plenty of backlight; however, with all that backlight, there needs to be some front light on the subject (to bring out the face). I didn’t want to “blow-out” the team players faces with my flash (I don’t like direct flash…), but obviously if you don’t throw some light the subject is going to be REAL dark (unless you just crank up your ISO and not even use the flash, then your subject should brighten up a bit). Increasing ISO (and not using a flash) would brighten up your subject and turn your background almost completely white. That’s probably not the look to go for (in this particular situation). So, I did use my flash, but I turned the flash back and toward the ceiling; therefore, bouncing a softer light onto the subject to give me enough light to work with in editing the picture. The pictures were mostly edited in camera raw and then final touches were done in Photoshop. I adjusted the temperature of the picture, the exposure (I also adjusted exposure in isolated areas on all the team players to brighten the floor and the players themselves), and the contrast of the image all in camera raw. To finish up, I opened all the pictures in Photoshop to make some final adjustments and create the final .jpg image. So, that’s a quick run-down of how I edited this particular picture (and the rest of the team). Hope you all enjoyed!